If you are feeling stressed, anxious or depressed, or just want to feel happier, there are local NHS, care services and voluntary services that can help.
The NHS website has a section dedicated to mental health services. Here you will find information about:
- How to get urgent help for mental health
- Information about feelings and symptoms that can affect your mental health, and advice for coping with life events and difficult situations.
- Information about mental health conditions
- Self help and treatments including medicines and talking therapy and how to find an NHS talking therapy service
- Information for patients and carers about social care support, how to access mental health and physical health assessments, and your rights under the law.
The following services all provide help for people will mental health issues, including depression and stress.
Samaritans offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal. Call Samaritans free, 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
Telephone: 116 123
Herts Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services
Herts Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services support the emotional and mental well-being of children and young people.
Telephone: 01707 253900
Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. They campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding.
Telephone: 020 3727 3600
Rethink provide expert, accredited advice and information to everyone affected by mental health problems.
Telephone: 0300 5000 927
The Living Room
The Living Room run two treatment centres – in Stevenage, and in St Albans. Each centre provides free intensive structured, abstinence-based, day treatment for adults (18 and over) with substance addictions, behavioural addictions and free therapy and support for family and friends.
Online services and other self-help
Health Talk Online
Health Talk Online is a charity website helps people to share their experiences of health and illness.
Free anonymous online chat for young people to discuss your mental health issues.
Mental Health Foundation
Information and Support for all mental health issues including Podcasts and Videos.